Dear members of IET Sri Lanka Network,
The spread of the COVID-19 virus is the most serious global health security threat in decades. I am writing to you to make sure that as IET Sri Lanka Network members you all are well prepared and are taking every step possible to not only protect yourselves and your families, but also to contribute to the measures taken to thwart the spread of this virus. As you are aware, currently our government is trying extremely hard to make sure that the virus is contained so as not to overwhelm the country’s healthcare system. As responsible engineering professionals and more importantly as part of our IET code of ethics, all of us should do our best to support and help accelerate this objective.
As instructed by our UK headquarters and Communities Committee South Asia (CCSA) in India, under present circumstances we will have to re-plan our activities till end of June as follows:
1. All physical IET Local Network activities to be suspended till the end of June 2020 – The health and safety of the members, event attendees and the community that we reside in, is of utmost importance. Hence, the IET has taken this decision. We are keeping a close watch on the situation and will communicate to you if there is any change in the status. We have postponed the following:
- Planned evening forum on 19th March on Role of Engineers in Adopting Industry 4.0 in Sri Lanka with a live 3D printing.
- Planned evening forum on 21st May where Port City project is to be presented
- Site visit to Rocell factory on 13th June.
We will keep you posted about the events for the rest of the year.
2. Encourage usage of virtual means to conduct IET activities – We are now compelled to do our activities on virtual means and as the first step, IET Sri Lanka Network held its first ever virtual EXCO monthly meeting on 1 April with the participation of 16 members using GoToMeeting tool.
3. Explore Webinars and other online options to be in touch with members – As you all are aware, we have been organizing evening forums almost every month in the past with a guest speaker to share knowledge in an important topic while engaging with our members. Continuing with that tradition but under present circumstances, we are planning to have our next event on 30 April on International Professional Registration with EC UK as a Webinar session. We will inform you all closer to the event.
4. YP Chairs could use this time to forge better connect with IET On Campus Office Bearers –The connect and intertwining between the YPs and On Campus groups will be maintained using virtual means.
5. Present Around the World Competition stalled for 2020 – The PATW Competition will not take place in 2020 but our YP will plan to conduct the Technical conference for which all planning work which can be conducted online will be attended until June.
6. Annual Technical Conference (ATC) and International Conference – Planning and online activities will be carried out for the ATC and International Conference expecting the situation to be stabilized.
Your understanding and cooperation towards our activities would be highly appreciated.
Dr. (Eng.) Lalith Liyanage
IET Sri Lanka Network Chairman – 2020/21